When it comes to fire hazards, few things can be more dangerous than a candle that is left unattended or otherwise handled in a careless manner.
The latest example of this reality was featured in a Boston Herald report which covered a fire that damaged eight units in an apartment building after children playing basketball indoors knocked over a candle.
The newspaper added that the fire did about $30,000 in damage. For homeowners, any kind of fire can quickly result in expensive home insurance claims and other costs, especially when factoring in other details like damage from smoke and water.
Consumers who enjoy candles but who want to avert any unwanted home insurance claims can consider some tips offered on the National Candle Association’s website. The tips offered by the trade organization should come as common sense to many people.
For example, candles should never be left burning or unattended, nor should they ever be kept near potentially flammable objects. It’s also very important to keep candles away from children and pets since they may accidentally knock one over. Also, the organization advises people to always use candleholders and to keep wicks trimmed to about 1/4 inc